Working in the UK (for international students)

Publish in



Please download to get full document.

View again

of 25
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
Working in the UK (for international students). David Levinson, Careers Adviser. Aims of the session:. Clarify the implications of UK visa regulations for your job hunting strategy Provide information and advice on UK (and international) job hunting
Working in the UK(for international students)David Levinson, Careers AdviserAims of the session:Clarify the implications of UK visa regulations for your job hunting strategyProvide information and advice on UK (and international) job huntingHighlight support available from the Careers Service and further resourcesWe won’t go into detail onLooking for part-time jobsVisa regulationsCVs, application forms, interviewsWe run regular workshops on all of theseHealth warnings….!x
  • I’m not an “expert”!
  • The Careers Service cannot give visa advice to students (the International Office can advise you)
  • The visa & immigration rules can (and do) change regularly – the International Office will keep you informed
  • Am I eligible to work part-time?
  • Most international students will be eligible but to be completely sure you should check your passport
  • You can also visit The International Office, 33 Buccleuch Place, where staff are trained to advise on permission to work
  • If you are eligible to work then you are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week. The University however recommends that you work no more than 15 hours per week
  • Bulgarian and Romanian students will need to obtain form
  • BR1 for their Registration CertificateWhat kind of part-time work can I do during my studies?As an international (non-EEA) student you can do most kinds of work, but you must not:
  • be self-employed
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
  • be employed as an entertainer
  • take a permanent full-time job
  • Students from EEA are not restricted in the type of work they undertake
  • Getting a National Insurance number
  • Once you have been offered a job you must apply for a National Insurance number. Once you have received an NI number then you can use it for every job
  • Pick up our easy guide to Tax and National Insurance at the Careers Service
  • Come along to our NI Processing Days at the Careers Service on 19th, 20th, 25th of September or 3rd October
  • The UK Graduate Job Market“I just got here, why think about graduate jobs now?”
  • Some deadlines are as early as October
  • Don’t wait until it’s too lateInternational (non-EU) students:Applying for graduate jobs in the UK
  • If you want to work in the UK after graduating, you have to secure a job with a sponsoring employer before your student visa expires
  • You must check that the employer is a registered sponsor and that the job meets the salary criteria
  • UKBA register of sponsorsUKBA Tier 2 sponsored visas NO labour market test under Tier 2 Salary criteria is > £20,000 (below the UK average) Average starting salary for recent international (non-EU) graduates working in the UK was £23,960 in 2010 Must switch within expiry date of T4 visa and from within UKYou must have been awarded your qualificationWhat do the regulations mean in practice? If you want to work in the UK after graduating, you have to secure a job with a sponsoring employer before your visa expires You must check that the employer is a registered sponsor and that the job meets the salary criteria Other routes are harder to access now that PSW has gone but include……Tier 1 ‘Graduate’ EntrepreneurAim:
  • to allow UK graduates with an “exceptional” business idea or innovation to remain in the UK to set up a business
  • Benefits:
  • Allows 2 years to enable graduate entrepreneurs to set up a business, while permitting part time work
  • Requirements:
  • Institution must ‘endorse’ the business idea and support through a structured process
  • Number of endorsement opportunities very limited
  • UoE’s Edinburgh Research and Innovation will select candidates: not an open competition
  • Tier 5 ‘Youth Mobility’Aim:
  • to allow nationals of specific countries to travel to the UK to work and live for a period of up to 2 years
  • Requirements:
  • A national of: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand and Taiwan. Also available to BNO (British National Overseas) passport holders (30 points)
  • Aged between 18 and 30…(10 points)
  • Maintenance requirement:1600GBP on the date of application in an account in your own name (10 points)
  • Have not held“Working Holiday Maker” in the past.
  • Must apply from OUTSIDE OF UK – cannot make the application from within
  • UK AncestryAim:
  • To permit people of UK descent to return to the UK to live with an intention to work
  • Requirements:
  • Must be a Commonwealth Citizen
  • Aged 17+
  • Official original evidence (birth certificate) that a grandparent was born in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland (before March 1922), with further official original evidence linking them to you (parental birth certificate/your birth certificate)
  • Must be applied for outside of the UK
  • Allows 5 years in the UK to lead up to settlement (indefinite leave to remain)
  • How am I going to stand out in a competitive job market?Make sure you really understand the graduate job market…Graduate training schemes ( large blue chip companies)Graduate jobs with small & medium sized enterprises (SMEs), not-for profit sector (but salaries may not meet new visa criteria)Graduate schemes are not your only option – many employers do not recruit in this wayCheck our “finding potential employers” pagesHidden Jobs?
  • 25%
  • --------------
  • 75%
  • General advice on graduate job hunting in a competitive market….Give it your very best – with every applicationBe flexible in terms of sector, size of employer and locationBe prepared to make speculative enquiries to Tier 2 sponsorsBe creative in your approach – what works in that sector?Build your skills (and CV) in other ways before applying Make use of the Careers Service I don’t have any relevant experience….Looking to work outside the UK?
  • Be clear about what you want to do and work on selling yourself and your international experience
  • Get clued up on how and when employers recruit
  • Look at our Working Internationally resources and information
  • Virtual Careers Fairs
  • North America, 1-5 October 2012
  • Live employer chats 1400 - 1800
  • China/SE Asia, 29 October – 2 November 2012
  • Live employer chats 0800 - 1200Resources for international students
  • International students web pages
  • International employer and vacancy information
  • Information on visas
  • Some events to look out for:
  • Careers workshops started this week
  • International talks
  • North America and SE Asia Virtual Careers Fairs
  • Employer presentations start 1 October
  • Careers Fair 9-11 October, Adam House
  • and much more….Have a great year, build your CV and use your Careers Service!!King’s Buildings CentralWeir Building 3rd Floor, Main Library0131 650 5773 0131 650 4670 Q&A
    Related Search
    We Need Your Support
    Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

    Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

    No, Thanks

    We need your sign to support Project to invent "SMART AND CONTROLLABLE REFLECTIVE BALLOONS" to cover the Sun and Save Our Earth.

    More details...

    Sign Now!

    We are very appreciated for your Prompt Action!